When you think about artificial intelligence (AI), you might be reminded of scenes of self-operating robots. But the presence of AI in our lives encompasses beyond that. AI is a groundbreaking technology which is now emerging as a pioneer in the field of technology. They are used in the development of self-driving cars, recommendations on the web which can be personalised and virtual assistants like Siri, Google Now, Amazon Echo and Cortana, to name a few. AI technology is the centre of hype now; specialists have also quoted that this technology will prove to be the frontline in leading a revolution in this field. Many people are now interested in working in the field of artificial intelligence as the qualities and skills required for this field seem to attract and intrigue many people. If you are considering pursuing your career in AI, you need to understand that it takes a lot of time and effort to establish yourself in the field, and you need to be committed to the job. But it can’t be denied that AI gives you a vast range of exciting opportunities.
What is Artificial Intelligence (AI)?
The present-day usage of artificial intelligence is just more than the basics of machine learning. AI employs the usage of several algorithms to create an artificial neural network by a process called “deep learning.” AI is the science and engineering that is used in making intelligent machines, in particular intelligent computer systems and programmes. The purpose of AI is to use computers to understand human intelligence and behaviour, but it also doesn’t limit itself to the scope of observing biological behaviour. To put it in simple terms, AI is a field that is a blend of computer science and large datasets so that it can be used in problem-solving. A report from IDC has stated that almost three-quarters of the commercial enterprise software and applications will be dependent on artificial intelligence by the next year, and insights have said that nearly 20 million jobs will be available in artificial intelligence by 2023.
Where To Start Working In The Field Of AI?
Developments in artificial intelligence have been taking place in nearly every organisation and industry. Even the government uses AI to analyse data and detect and counter the threats posed. Some nonprofit organisations have adapted AI technology so that it could spread and make people aware of the ongoing crises and related issues through chatbots. AI has been used in household products like Echo by Amazon, chatbots in customer services and even in medical diagnosis. AI is expanding its usage in almost every field. A 2017 study suggests that nearly 400 to 500 million jobs will be taken control by automation, and employees will be forced to find another job by 2030. Ironically, AI seems to be one of the promising sectors in the near future. So when people hunt for jobs, they often look for a job that offers them stability, growth and endless opportunities. If this is what you want, then going on a job hunt in AI is a safe bet. First, let’s see the top career options offered in the AI field. Along with this, we will also provide you with tips for securing a job in the Artificial Intelligence Industry.
- AI Researcher- The job of an AI researcher is mostly based on juggling between academics and a corporate role. The work of AI researchers is to push the boundaries of artificial intelligence by carrying out persistent enquiry and study. These AI researchers may be specialised in any branch of AI, ranging from machine learning to visual recognition and even anything in between. There are a vast number of openings for a PhD. – qualified AI researchers in India.
- Data Scientist– The role of the data scientist is extremely important in the field of AI. This is because the artificial intelligence industry is heavily dependent on large amounts of data that are used for optimisation and efficiency. To pursue a job in this field, a bachelor’s degree in data science is not actually necessary. You just need to have knowledge and background about what STEM is. In many cases, data scientists are usually the people who are with high qualifications, mostly possessing at least a Master’s degree in their respective streams.
- UI/UX Designer- The UI/UX designer is someone who makes the new technology convenient for the customer’s use. They help in creating features that address the client’s needs and thereby help in the growth of the customer base. These designers will find the pain points and try to find the solution for the problem, and will help in the implementation of the solution. To get a job as a UI/UX Designer, one needs an in-depth understanding of the principles of UI/UX and should also have good vision, teamwork and social skills.
- Big Data Architect- The role of the big data architect is in the planning and development of the data management system of the organisation. These data architects first analyse the company’s needs and other data sources and create a blueprint for collecting, integrating and maintaining the abundant data that is generated every day. The big data architects should have a background in computer science or any STEM field to qualify for the job.
- Machine Learning Engineer- The task of the machine learning engineer is to carry out works like machine learning experiments, enhancement of machine learning performance, and data engineering. Along with expert quality knowledge in machine learning, you will also need a degree in computer science to get entry as a machine learning engineer.
There are several tech companies which make use of AI. Let us take a look at the companies:
💡 Generate personalized emails, blog articles, product descriptions, and ads in seconds using the power of A.I
- Facebook- This tech giant uses AI in its Oculus virtual reality products.
- Amazon- This retailer uses natural language processing and speech analysis software for the Alexa digital assistant services. Alexa learns the speech patterns of each customer and adjusts to their needs.
- NASA- This popular organisation began to develop AI systems so that it would be convenient to process and organise the data present in the universe.
- Tesla- Its software primarily depends on machine learning and AI development. This helps self-driving cars process information like traffic laws and street markings to perceive the setting of the road.
- Ezra- This uses AI with MRI technology so that it could detect cancer in the early stage and even more accurately.
Our Top Tips For Getting A Job In The Artificial Intelligence Industry
There is no doubt that there are plenty of jobs available in the field of AI. However, you need to know beforehand that breaking and getting recognised in this field might take some time. Experts recommend that having a postgraduate degree in networking and structured learning will help you gain recognition. But you need to understand the value of a strong portfolio, and you can also include your previous experiences in programming or tech development. This will give you an extra edge. Many employers will prefer to hire an applicant with a Master’s degree in Computer Science.
- Take up AI courses- The top institutions which offer courses in AI are IIT-Madras, IIT-Bombay, ISI Kolkata, University of Hyderabad and IISc Bangalore. If you are unable to attend offline classes, you can sign up for online courses from any one of the reputed industries.
- Begin networking- Start attending seminars, workshops, conferences, and hackathons on AI. This will not just boost your knowledge about AI but also will help you meet and bond with other people in the industry. Who might know? You might as well get a guide or mentor who will help you with the job search process and guide you in your career.
- Gaining domain proficiency- A major task of AI is to help businesses and organisations become more efficient. And to aid in this, you will need to have thorough knowledge and expertise in a particular domain so that you can perform efficiently too.
- Building a personal brand- You need to become an active member of the AI community. This can be an online or offline community. Join in conversations about AI, share information, news and your opinions, and interact with other people. This will help you create a personal brand for yourself. Not only that, you will come off as a person who is genuinely interested and knowledgeable about artificial intelligence.
- Never stop learning- With a lot of advancements happening in a very short span of time, you need to equip yourself with the knowledge to sustain yourself in the field. Do extensive reading, and keep yourself upgraded with the latest technological developments and advancements.
- Preferred education programmes- While the field of AI has many specialisations, and some topics are known to be consistent when you see through multiple curriculums. It is better if you have knowledge about these courses so that it will give you an extra edge over others. Here is the list of the programmes:
- Principles and Techniques of AI
- Natural Language Processing in Deep Learning
- Computer Vision and Image Processing
- Machine Learning Ethics
- Algorithms and Implementation in Deep Learning Systems
Other Required Skills
The field of AI has multiple disciplines involved inside and outside of computer science. So the skills required for each job may vary. For example, some positions like the Sensor Algorithm Engineer are focussed on the hardware and data collection through the electronic sensors. And there are other jobs which completely focus on software engineering. However, it is a universal rule that all job positions require soft skills. Many jobs in the field of AI require you to collaborate with other team members from your own department or even from other departments. Good interpersonal skills, good communication and good leadership skills can increase the promotion opportunities multifold. Having knowledge of these programs will help you start your career in AI.
- The general languages – Python and C/C++
- Apache, Cassandra, Couchbase, DynamoDB for Database management
- MATLAB, R and Pandas for data analysis and statistics
- Data acquisition systems like physical sensors and wireless sensors
It will be good if you include the prior experiences you had in the field so that it would distinguish you from the other candidates. Students who are interested in AI can start by building their portfolios by taking up internships and other school opportunities. If it is possible, they can publish their group projects or even individual projects with the help of platforms like GitHub. In some cases, the employers will hire a person who has at least a minimum of one year of hands-on experience work. For some other job opportunities, they would check other areas like grammar and your communication skills.
With large scale advancements happening in the artificial intelligence industry, it is no doubt that this field will help transform society. Aside from the jobs mentioned above, there are also job opportunities like AI copywriters, AI attorneys and AI journalists, and many more jobs that are even available for non-technical people. If you know you are interested in pursuing a career in the AI industry, don’t give up and start preparing yourself to change the world.